What is Cambridge/AICE?
The AICE program is an innovative and accelerated method of study offered through Cambridge Assessment International Examinations, a division of University of Cambridge, England. For over 170 years the prestigious University of Cambridge has been setting worldwide curriculum standards through their examinations. American universities have responded enthusiastically to AICE. The Florida Legislature has identified AICE as a graduation option and acceleration mechanism through which students can be awarded up to 45 hours of college credit at all public universities and colleges in Florida, and the state’s Bright Futures program recognizes AICE diploma recipients who also complete the required community service hours with the Florida Academic Scholars Scholarship.
The Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE) Diploma is an international curriculum and examination system that emphasizes the value of broad and balanced study. Alongside in-depth understanding of a variety of subjects, students also master a broader range of skills critical for success in college and in their future careers.
Umatilla High School has designed its Cambridge program to allow for students to choose their own path through AICE courses, whether they pursue a Cambridge diploma or simply take individual classes. With the program only in its fourth year, Umatilla High students have already passed hundreds of Cambridge examinations, resulting in college credits and saved tuition costs, and jumpstarting their path toward college graduation. Our first cohort of four-year students to receive the Cambridge diploma will graduate in the 2023-24 school year.
Why take AICE?
A study by Bill Kolb, former director of admissions at the University of Florida: The study found that AICE program graduates attending the University of Florida had an average end-of-freshman year GPA of 3.46 whereas students coming from other acceleration mechanisms such as Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) had an average GPA of 3.12 and 3.10 respectively.
Cambridge / FSU Study: Success in the US: Are Cambridge International Assessments Good Preparation for University Study? This article outlines the success of Cambridge AICE students at Florida State University and of how they are outperforming all other acceleration mechanisms including IB and AP. ~ Cambridge Study.pdf
Cambridge USA Recognition: Universities are speaking out on how prepared students that come from the AICE program are when they enter college. View the video of FSU, DUKE, University of Washington, MIT, and others as they share their opinions on the AICE program: VIDEOS
2019 Study on Acceleration in the US: Cambridge qualifications proven to be good preparation for university studies in the US. https://blog.cambridgeinternational.org/cambridge-qualifications-good-preparation-for-university/
- AICE courses and examinations are equivalent to first year and a half of college and university courses (Up to 45 total credit hours) (See Course Equivalents for more detail).
- Students who pass seven examinations are awarded the AICE Diploma directly by the University of Cambridge. Students who do not earn the AICE Diploma are given credit for those examinations they do pass and are awarded individual General Certificates of Education by Cambridge.
- AICE and Pre-AICE teachers at Umatilla High School are trained by Cambridge. Each of the courses strictly follows a course syllabus that is designed by Cambridge professors.
- AICE students are eligible for the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship. All AICE Academy students are required to fulfill the 100-hour community service total, which is required for the Florida Academic Scholars Award.
- The AICE program of study at UHS offers students one of the most demanding and rigorous college preparatory programs available. The State of Florida Universities and the Bright Futures Scholarship Program each award one extra quality point for students who successfully complete an AICE course with a "C" or better.
Travel & Tourism
Cambridge's online database includes higher education institutions worldwide which have provided us with their formal acceptance policies for Cambridge qualifications.
Cambridge Program Coordinator
Congratulations to the
2023-2024 AICE Diploma Recipients
Earning them 100% Bright Futures Scholarship worth $25,500!